I am a cinematographer, living in Melbourne, Australia. In 2014, I was lucky to be the cinematographer for a Science Fiction Film, Restoration, which is now screening on STAN, directed by Stuart Willis and produced by Toby Gibson. I have shot 18 short films, a similar number of music clips and a handful of documentaries since moving on from a previous life as a water engineer at the end of 2007. I have lived long term in Indonesia, Vietnam, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, as well as in Australia and the UK, and have travelled extensively.
Click here to download formal cinematography bio: Hugh Turral Film Bio 2019 (02)
I am passionate about drama, documentary and the visualisation of story. I enjoy comedy and have been working with Mash Up pictures on comedic segments for the ABC2 series “Housemates”. Like many shooters, I am fascinated by light and camera movement and the never ending challenge of trying to get to grips with both. I love the collaborative nature of film making, especially the synergy between director, production designer and camera department.
Awards and Nominations:
Won Best Cinematography at New York City Web Fest for “Restoration”, 2017.
Nominations for Best Cinematography, “Restoration”
DubWest, Dublin, 2017; Bilbao Seriesland, 2017; Melbourne Web Festival, 2017.
Australian Cinematographers Society; Victoria Branch:
Gold Award for Drama or Comedy Series – Telefeatures, 2016, for “Restoration”
Gold Award for Short Film, 2016, for “There’s a Bluebird in My Heart”
Gold Award for Corporate and Educational, 2014, for “Norwood”
Judges Award for Best Entry in all categories, 2012, for “Hath No Man”
Gold Award for Fictional Drama Shorts, 2012, for “Hath No Man”
Nomination for J-Award (ABC Triple J), 2014, “Free of Fear” for Client Liaison.
My company is Roving Picture Films Pty. Ltd.
Our gear hire list includes:
- Scarlet Dragon Camera, and a range of 35mm and 16mm format PL mount lenses (including Red Pro Primes, Cooke zooms, Zeiss primes and zoom, Schneider 35mm primes and a set of vintage 35mm Bausch and Lomb Baltar lenses in BNC mount)
- Aaton XTR S.16mm camera kit
- JVC GY LS-300 documentary camera: 4k and HD.
- 6m crane with remote head and RT Motion wireless FIZ; Preston Microforce zoom control; wireless video TX-RX Teradek Bolt Pro.
- Elemack 2-person dolly with 50′ of track, a full circle of track (6m dia,) plus jib attachment. Wally dolly, Dayna Dolly, vertical slider.
- Ronin-X with extension arms.
- Lighting kit – 1200 PAR HMI, tungsten fresnels and open face, kinos, dedos, LED panel etc.
- Big old van.
Click here to download gear and price list: RPF Gear and Price list Jan 2019